Memphis VA Medical Center
Partners and Education
As a teaching hospital, VAMC Memphis provides a full range of services, with state-of-the-art technology as well as education and research.
Veterans Advisory Council (VAC)
The Veterans Advisory Council (VAC) is a stakeholder group that was established in mid-2005. The Council meets quarterly and is chaired by the Medical Center Director. The VAC functions as a multi-interest body to offer information and advice to our leadership on issues related to quality, effectiveness and patient satisfaction.
The current VAC membership includes representatives of the —
- American Legion
- Veterans of Foreign Wars
- Disabled American Veterans
- Paralyzed Veterans of America
- Shelby County Mayor's Office
- Tennessee Committee for Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve
- Commissioner, Tennessee Department of Veterans
Some highlights of our 2nd quarter 2007 meeting —
- The VAC is in the first part of a determination phase of possibly taking the lead on proposing a State Veterans Home be built in Memphis. The medical center will provide documents for the Council to review and consider in support of the need.
- Telehealth is available to veterans of the Memphis VAMC and all community based outpatient clinics except for Byhalia. Discussions took place on a plan to enhance health care services to veterans through increased telehealth services.
VAMC Memphis is primarily affiliated with the University of Tennessee Health Science Center*. We offer residency training in all major medical and surgical specialties and subspecialties. Associated Health Training is offered in nursing, psychology, audiology, social work, dietetics, and pharmacy.
Each year, VAMC Memphis funds over 100 medical and nearly one dozen dental resident positions. We also train nearly 400 students in these slots. Training is also provided to over 400 nursing and associated health trainees.
Veterans Service Organizations
VAMC Memphis maintains a good working relationship with all of our veteran service organization (VSO) partners. We regularly brief our VSO representatives on changes impacting veterans' health care.
A Veterans Advisory Council (VAC) has been established which includes stakeholders from a number of veterans groups. The VAC meets quarterly.
Memphis Bioworks Foundation
VAMC Memphis is a proud member of the Memphis Bioworks Foundation*, a collaboration of public, private, academic, and government organizations designed to establish Memphis as an internationally recognized center for the development and commercialization of biomedical technology.