Memphis VA Medical Center
Work Status for Employees
As of Thursday, January 14, 2021 10:39 AM CST
Director statement regarding reporting for duty:
To reduce the impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and other illnesses, Memphis VAMC is asking patients, staff and visitors to help slow the spread of infection by wearing a face covering and staying at least 6 feet from other people who are not from your household in both indoor and outdoor spaces. All Memphis VA Medical Center clinics and operations are operating normally EXCEPT for the updated visitor, patient and staff restrictions/guidelines below.
- Memphis VA Medical Center will offer additional access to COVID-19 testing for VA employees. Testing will be conducted Mondays and Thursdays in room BE202-A (Education Room) on the 2nd floor of the Administration building.Testing will be available by appointment only on the following days and times: Monday – 6:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. (please note change in hours effective January 11, 2021) Thursday – 2:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Employees should call extension 7650 Monday through Friday to schedule an appointment. Appointments must be scheduled at least one day prior to the day of the test. Employees mandated to be tested are exempt from pre-scheduling. All testing will continue to take place in room BE202-A.
- This service is being contracted with the University (UT) Clinical Health Lab. Employees must bring their PIV card and driver’s license. If you do not have a driver’s license, notify UT staff upon arrival. Employees should provide their name as it appears in VistA/CPRS.
- Employees will be informed of test results by phone or email.
- If you have any questions, please contact David Huhman, Health Systems Specialist, Chief of Staff Office at extension 2775.
Restriction of Visitor Access to the Medical Center
- The primary focus of the Memphis Veterans Affairs (VA) Medical Center in response to the COVID-19 outbreak is the safety and protection of Veterans and staff. As a result, the general rule is that visitors are not allowed access to the medical center.
- Exceptions would include one visitor per inpatient when a caregiver is required or one visitor for major surgery. For exceptions, the specific visitor will be named in the Veteran’s chart by the care team, and/or the visitor’s name should be given to the security personnel. Only visitors with a negative COVID-19 screen for symptoms and exposure will be permitted to enter the medical center. No visitors are permitted into the COVID Unit (5E).
- For Veterans who require assistance for transportation to an appointment, Veterans Transportation Service should be contacted at ext. 5354 or 5668.
- Veterans who require a driver post-procedure should have the driver’s phone number available for staff prior to the procedure. Staff should contact the designated driver before the procedure. Drivers cannot wait in the facility.
- No visitors under the age of 18 (including infants) will be permitted.
- These restrictions apply to all Memphis VA Medical Center and Community Based Outpatient Clinic care locations.
- Veterans will not be allowed in the medical facility until 30 minutes before their routine clinic appointments unless on the exclusion list, i.e., surgical procedures.
- Should Veterans have any questions, please instruct them to call Telephone Care at 901-577-7221 before visiting the facility. Your understanding and cooperation to help ensure the safety of our Veterans and staff is appreciated.
Mask Requirements At All VHA Facilities
VHA requires the wearing of a face covering for all persons entering VHA facilities, including employees, patients, and visitors. The face covering must cover the mouth and nose, fit snugly, and allow for breathing without restriction. Cloth masks are acceptable but are truly not considered Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
The Employee Fitness Center
located in the basement of the Administration Building, room AWG3, is closed until further notice.
Staff Drop Off Area
Employees are reminded not to use the driveway near the lower level entrance of the Spinal Cord Injury Building for personal drop off. Failure to keep this area clear could result in emergency vehicles being unable to access the Emergency Room Ambulance Entrance. VA Police will be monitoring this area and are authorized to ticket violators.
Temporary Change to the Human Resources (HR) Career Center
The Human Resources (HR) Career Center will be closed until further notice. Visitors and employees can contact the Career Center by calling 901-523-8990 ext. 5928 or emailing Ms. Stephanie McDuffie at Stephanie.Mcduffie@va.gov or emailing HR staff at VHAMEMHRMSStf@med.va.gov
Staff Coronavirus Screening
Employees will be required to self-certify to negative answers to screening questions prior to entering any Memphis VA Medical Center and Community Based Outpatient Clinic location. This self-certification will be accomplished by showing your PIV card to VA Police at the entrance. This self-certification states:
- I do not have a fever, new or worsening cough, shortness of breath or flu like symptoms.
- I have not, or do not have a close contact, with anyone who has traveled to an area with widespread or sustained community transmission of coronavirus (COVID-19) within the past 14 days. (China, South Korea, Iran, Italy, Japan)
- I have not been in close contact with anyone (including a health care worker) who is confirmed to have the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19).
If you are ill or feeling ill with any of these symptoms, please stay home and follow normal call in procedures.
Facility Entrances and Hours
Effective immediately, the following visitation safeguards are in place:
- The Bed Tower, Emergency Department and Spinal Cord Injury Building (1st floor), will be the only entrances available for use.
- All patients, visitors and staff will be screened for COVID-19 at the designated entrance.
- Outpatients should come to appointments alone if possible. visitors are not allowed access to the medical center.
The following are the hours of operation for each entrance:
Bed Tower Entrance
Monday thru Friday, 6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Emergency Department Entrance
Open 24/7 daily including weekends and holidays
Spinal Cord Injury Entrance - 1st Floor (For Employees Only)
Monday thru Friday, 6:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- The Spinal Cord Injury Building entrance on the 1st floor will be the only entrance for employees.
- For employees who ride the shuttle to and from the Mississippi Boulevard Church parking lot, pick up and drop off will be at the Spinal Cord Entrance on the 1st floor.
- All employees should have their work identification card available for entrance and should set aside enough time to be at your work area on time.
SPECIAL NOTE: Other than the times listed above, the Emergency Department Entrance is to be used.
Cancellation of Events
While dealing with COVID-19 as a public health threat, for the safety and well-being of veterans and staff, all scheduled events or gatherings that would invite people into the medical center, placing them in close proximity, are being cancelled until further notice. This includes but is not limited to all face-to-face programs and activities that are not designated for specific clinical training. The intent is to resume these activities after the threat of COVID-19 has subsided.
These actions are being taken to ensure the health safety of veterans, staff and visitors. Additional restrictions may be put in place as conditions warrant.
During a VA-declared emergency:
VA Employees should return to this page for updates. For more information about this emergency, go to our main Emergency Information page.