Memphis VA Medical Center
Nutrition and Food
The Nutrition and Food Service Department maintains a progressive program for both preventive care and for Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT). Administrative nutrition staff, registered dietitians, and dietetic technicians are dedicated to providing quality nutrition care, food service, and education to our veterans, staff, and students. We operate in various settings - during hospitalization, in the outpatient clinic setting, and through research protocols and special programs.
Nutrition and Food Service takes pride in the meals we serve. Our goal is to serve you healthy, quality and satisfying meals. Good nutrition is key to good health.
Nutrition and Food Service will provide veterans a meal, upon receipt of a meal ticket. Modified diets are available upon request to meet your health needs. Based on our guidelines, we serve meals with less sugar, salt and fat.
Hoptel meals and other meals (upon receipt of meal ticket) are available in the main kitchen CW 238 at the following times:
- Breakfast: 7:15 am - 9:30 am
- Lunch: 11:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Dinner: 4:30 pm - 7:00 pm
If you have any questions, concerns or suggestions about your meal or other nutrition related services please call our COOK HOTLINE at "COOK" (ext. 2665).
Nutrition and Food Service values your input. It is our pleasure to serve you.
Our staff of registered dietitians and dietetic technicians works cooperatively with other healthcare professionals to promote the nutritional well being of the patients, screening each patient admitted to the hospital, assessing those with specific nutritional concerns, and providing nutrition education and counseling to individuals requiring specific diets.
Outpatient Diet Counseling
We provide nutrition counseling to the patients concerned with the special nutrition needs related to their illnesses. Ambulatory Care services include –
- One-on-one nutrition counseling with a registered dietitian – including, but not limited to general, diabetic, cardiac, and cancer education. Clinic Times are as follows and walk-in and same day appointments are available:
Monday - Friday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
- North Memphis Clinic – Nutrition
Wednesday, Friday 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
- South Memphis Clinic – Nutrition
Monday Afternoon, Tuesday, Thursday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm
Tuesday, 1:00 pm
- Jackson Clinic - Nutrition
Monday - Friday 8:30 am - 3:30 pm
- Interdisciplinary group classes –
- Diabetes Education every Thursday of the month 8:30 am - 2:00 pm
- MOVE! Thursday 9:00-11:30 am
- Cardiology Heart Failure Group
Tuesday 9:00 am - 10:00 am
- Heart Lifestyle Group
Tuesday 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- South Memphis Clinic – Metabolic Group
Thursday 1:00 pm - 2:00 pm
- Jackson Clinic - MOVE!
Call 731-661-2750 to sign up and obtain class dates
- Memphis VA Medical Center
- 901-523-8990 Ext. 7337
Hours of Operation
- M-F, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.